8/26/10

{homemade}: some sewing projects...

It began with finally finishing this quilt! I LOVE denim quilts because they are so heavy and warm and perfect for picnics so I finally finished this one. I actually started this quilt back in 2004 while I was waiting for Idaho Falls to warm up so I could have a job (I lifeguarded back in those days-oh, how I miss it). My Mom was kind enough to let me have all the old jeans she had been saving so I cut them up, serged them together, found some soft material for the backing, sewed that together and finally tied it! And it only took me 6 years! It's a warm and soft one though-perfect for snuggling!
For Alex's birthday she wanted that cute picture of a girl at a carnival but was having a hard time finding a dress so we decided to make one! It turned out so cute so I think I'm going to make myself a variation of the same one!
This wasn't a sewing project...but I did make it. It's just part of the following sewing projects...
This was minimal sewing too...I hated that the mail holder below was just a standard black and the bulletin board just a silver so I finally painted them and added fabric (with a stitched hem (sewing)) over the cork board part and made the "what's for dinner" magnet.
I love my Gartenzwerg but he was originally the wrong colors so I re-painted him to match and made the tablecloth to go with everything else-so much fun. The fabric for the tablecloth was my inspiration to redo the entire kitchen in bright but muted colors with a vintage inspiration... (Note: I stole this idea from my aunt but if you like fabric tablecloths but don't want them to get smeared with food you can buy clear vinyl by the yard at walmart to protect them-and your table too!) I made this little sleeves to go over my glass jars with individual phrases from the tablecloth material zig-zagged on...
I wanted to post about this right away (I finished the kitchen 2-3 weeks ago) but I just hadn't.And I also made these scrub tops for my friend Heather! We did pillow covers for her couch at home and while we were at it made some scrubs! She LOVES polka dots and was super excited to finally have a polka-dot top! The pillow covers turned out super cute-we did zippers in them so that she can pull them off her existing pillows and wash them when she wants! Just thought I would share-I miss sewing and it's been fun to have some projects. The pics are a bit yellow...I found a fun polaroid setting on my cell phone and sometimes it does that... :( Call if you want to play!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my! Everything looks so dang cute! And way to go again on the dress making!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I come with the material in September, can we do a quilt? I bought Halloween fabric last year for cheap and my sewing machine is currently kaput :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my heck A! I had no idea that you did all of this...next time you are up come help me decorate?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your message after the tone -BEEP-