2/23/11

{gratitude}: my continual image woes...

I am so grateful for my health.  I have to keep coming back to that because after a week of being in bed I realize even more how lucky I am.  I get down on my body sometimes because it could be shorter, skinnier, clearer-skined, less curly, more round (in places), less allergic, and over-all this unrealistic picture of perfection I've made up in my mind.  Thankfully, in recent years I've begun to stand up for my body.  It carried a baby-and after months of throwing up every meal, it still went to work everyday.  It has climbed mountains, swam rivers, protected me from the cold, suffered through the heat, fed my baby and general housed my spirit comfortably and well.  And I have abused it!  I've kept it up late nights, left it out in the sun, fed it too much sugar, and bleached it's hair!! 

I guess in my ongoing struggles with my weight I have to remind myself sometimes to turn off the voice, and just be so glad that while I may be considered obese, at least I can run a flight of stairs, touch my toes, and accomplish the day-to-day tasks that I need to.  I still have a healthy beating heart, strong lungs and thick bones. 

My body is my friend and I am so grateful for it's healthiness, especially after what I've put her through. 

3 comments:

  1. I just wanted to tell you how much I love reading your blog. You always have something good to say, whether it's just a general thought for that day or something that has really been on your mind, and then I find myself thinking about that topic for a little bit that day-which is great because most of my thoughts consist of toddler cartoons and diapers and potty training :)-so keep it up, because I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl! Thanks for saying what a lot of us are thinking. I'm so glad you moved in down the street so many years ago and that I can call you a friend. Thanks for being you April!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you! You really do help a lot of us feel better about ourselves by the things that you say. LOVE YA!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your message after the tone -BEEP-