- (My personal favorite) "Well, people think badly (judge) when they see girls dressed immodestly because they automatically know what kind of girl they are." What??! I'm sorry, but this is some lame excuse everyone has come up with to feel better about judging people. I'm not buying it.
- "You just don't understand how men think." I have only heard this phrase from other women. Lots of them were single women. Women that haven't spent a lot of time with men. I have had several close male friends, and now a husband that have given me lots of insight into the minds of males...and yes, they certainly can be filthy. And yes, scantily clad women running around doesn't necessarily help BUT I fail to see how their brain, their agency, their ability to control their thoughts or actions is MY PROBLEM? These men are going to be around women for the rest of their lives, and when it comes down to it are capable of sexualizing ANYTHING...seriously, I know...I have a lot of male friends... Can we help out by wearing some clothes, absolutely. Ultimately, is this MY problem? no.
- "2 piece swimsuits are terribly immodest." They are. So are 1 piece swimsuits. All swimwear is tight, cut, and revealing. ALL SWIMWEAR. We recently went to a pageant (which brought a lot of this up) and several girls wore 2 piece swimsuits. Was I shocked because they were 2 pieces? Not so much...more shocked at the lack of self-awareness and inability to realize how unflattering the suits were on themselves. If you are going to parade yourself around in any type of swimsuit, I don't know that it matters much if it's 2 pieces or one. We get to see all of your goods one way or another. Will Paisley have to wear modest swimsuits growing up? You betcha-currently I'm loving tankinis but we'll see what we're dealing with when we get there.
- This isn't a specific phrase, but more of a frame of mind. I am SO TIRED of seeing all of the sweet girls embarrassed of their bodies because their parents taught them to be (so they would cover up). It makes me sick. I had a good friend who had been taught to be embarrassed of her boobs all growing up so that her parents didn't have to worry about her showing them off. Now, I'm not an advocate for showing them off, but I don't think it should be embarrassment that drives girls to modesty.
- "All naked bodies are pornographic." Yeah, it's because of you people that I had to hide under a tent just to feed my child while I was nursing!!!! ALL NAKED BODIES ARE NOT PORNOGRAPHY!!!! If you believe that, YOU HAVE THE PROBLEM. Please, PLEASE don't tell me that every time you see a naked little kid that you instantly sexualize the situation because that is YOUR problem.
- "All naked bodies are disgusting." How sad for you. How sad for your children. How sad that you look at your spouse and yourself in disgust. I don't understand it. I see so much beauty in people and their bodies and it's sad to me that anyone would honestly believe this!
"Your body is God’s sacred creation. Respect it as a gift from God, and do not defile it in any way. Through your dress and appearance, you can show the Lord that you know how precious your body is. You can show that you are a disciple of Jesus Christ. Prophets of God have always counseled His children to dress modestly. The way you dress is a reflection of what you are on the inside." from "For the Strength of Youth"
And that's how Paisley is going to learn. She should never be doing anything because of what people might say or think about her and how she dresses is at the top of that list! Modesty isn't even how you dress so much as how you wear it. It's a frame of mind. And for me it's how I keep my undies covered ;)